Slow-Cooked Southwest Chicken
With just 15-minutes of prep, you'll be out of the kitchen in no time. This deliciously low-fat dish gets even better served with reduced-fat sour cream and chopped cilantro. Brandi Castillo - Santa Maria, California
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 jar (8 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a 2- or 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, broth, tomatoes,
- chicken, salsa, corn and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8
- hours or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat
- through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup chicken mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 320 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white