- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 envelopes sloppy joe mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, sloppy joe mix, brown sugar and mustard.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until flavors are blended. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Sloppy Joes
"This is an awesome recipe!! delicious"
"This is a very delicious recipe.There are a couple of things I did different..I browned the beef, onion, & green pepper, drained the grease, added the remaining ingredients & simmered it on the stove top for an hour & I used only 1 TBS of brown sugar..My husband & son loved it!"
"This was a very good recipe for our pot-luck.The first pan was used to caramelize the beef, adding flavor."
"This is my absolute favorite sloopy joe recipe ever!! I love the flavor!"
"This was pretty good, especially for someone who got braces on less than a week before. It was tasty & I used whole grain sandwich thins and made it open-faced and easier to eat. I used dry onion since I don't like onion much. It's pretty high in sodium though & my dad thought pretty sweet. (First ingredient in Walmart store brand sloppy joe sauce is sugar.) I may make a few adjustments, but overall it was a very filling & easy meal for a working person."
"This is a very good and easy to make recipe. Thank you for sharing this Joeanne Steras and Taste of Home. :)"
"I will never use another recipe. This was fabulous and very easy to put together. I made it for 75 people for a Cub Scout Crossover dinner and everyone raved about it!"
"I just put everything into the slow cooker and let it cook on low while I was at work -- no need to dirty any more dishes! As a sloppy joe sauce, something was lacking... but this is an AMAZING coney sauce!!!"
"I made this with turkey and it was delicious!"
"CAN'T see the need for the 1st pan...typo !"