- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 envelopes sloppy joe mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, sloppy joe mix, brown sugar and mustard.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until flavors are blended. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"This is a very delicious recipe.There are a couple of things I did different..I browned the beef, onion, & green pepper, drained the grease, added the remaining ingredients & simmered it on the stove top for an hour & I used only 1 TBS of brown sugar..My husband & son loved it!"
"This was a very good recipe for our pot-luck.The first pan was used to caramelize the beef, adding flavor."
"This is my absolute favorite sloopy joe recipe ever!! I love the flavor!"
"This was pretty good, especially for someone who got braces on less than a week before. It was tasty & I used whole grain sandwich thins and made it open-faced and easier to eat. I used dry onion since I don't like onion much. It's pretty high in sodium though & my dad thought pretty sweet. (First ingredient in Walmart store brand sloppy joe sauce is sugar.) I may make a few adjustments, but overall it was a very filling & easy meal for a working person."
"This is a very good and easy to make recipe. Thank you for sharing this Joeanne Steras and Taste of Home. :)"