Smothered in a mouthwatering barbecue sauce, these meaty ribs are a popular entree wherever I serve them. The recipe is great for a busy cook - after everything is combined, the slow cooker does all the work.—Pam Halfhill, Medina, Ohio
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 4-1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add ribs in batches and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown ribs in butter.
- Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Short Ribs in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p33
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review