- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 4-1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add ribs in batches and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ribs in butter.
- Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
"Delicious, the meat was so mouthwatering tender!"
"Did not care for them when we ate them and then the aftertaste was extremely unpleasant."
"Absolutely excellent meal! Made it with beef and pork before, both were excellent. Has anyone made it with chicken before?"
"My Husband already wants me to make this again - BIG hit!"
"How was this possible that this was rated 4.5 stars? It was very tart....."
"Excellent flavor. My husband was impressed (and that's saying alot for him). I will end up making this alot. Easy to make. I followed the directions exactly. Thank you."
"I love this recipe. I've made it at least 6 times now. It's one of my favorites. I found this recipe in a 2000 T.O.H books. It's a keeper.Now I would like to make a comment to your April 16, 2011 reviewer "Your Worst Critic".First it seems like you had a bad day? You used very distasteful verbage. Most critics are mindful on how they phrase things. They critique what they don't like w/o offending people. Stop being imprudent. Most people watch what they eat so that they can have a delicous meal like this once in a while.Thank you Pam for this recipe."
"Made this exactly as written except slow cooked for 7 hours. Meat was very tender (perfect infact) but there was a tangy taste that I didn't care for, maybe too much vinegar. It wasn't bad but I won't make this again."
"I have made this twice and it was excellent both times. I do feel compelled to mention that this is not a diet recipe. I noticed that it does not have the nutritional information. I did substitute canola oil for the butter. The ribs were done and very tender after 6 hours. There was excess oil floating on top at the end which I soaked up with a paper towel to reduce the calories. The flavor and tenderness of the beef was wonderful and even the calories would not keep me from making this again."
"delicious made it twice already"