I love short ribs, and they are best prepared low and slow in a flavorful sauce. I also love salt potatoes, so I thought I would combine the two with an Italian twist. My family was wowed!—Devon Delaney, Westport, Connecticut
- 6 thick slices pancetta or thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 6 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle ribs with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. In another large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- To same skillet, add carrots and onion; cook and stir over medium heat 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add broth, wine, honey and vinegar, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer to slow cooker; add pancetta, herbs and garlic.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. In the last hour of cooking, place potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot and cover with water. Add remaining salt. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir to dissolve salt. Cook 15-30 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Remove ribs to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Add vegetables and pancetta to platter. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Short Ribs with Salt-Skin Potatoes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p15
Reviews forSlow-Cooked Short Ribs with Salt-Skin Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review