Slow-Cooked Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, then shake potatoes over low heat for 1 minute to dry. Mash potatoes, gradually adding butter and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Add tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrots, broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in peas. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- 4. Transfer beef mixture to a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Spread mashed potatoes over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 419 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 746 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Shepherd's Pie
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.