- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, and garlic over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrots,
- broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in peas. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer beef mixture to a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Spread mashed
- potatoes over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until
- bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or
- until cheese is melted. Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Bake option: Transfer cooked beef mixture to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 419 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 746 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.