Slow-Cooked Savory Cheese Soup Recipe
This creamy cheese soup is great at parties. Let guests serve themselves and choose from fun garnishes such as popcorn, croutons, green onions and bacon bits. —Ann Huseby, Lakeville, Minnesota
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer, optional
- Optional Toppings: croutons, popcorn, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- 2. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
- 3. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through. Serve with desired toppings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 256 calories, 21 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 797 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC