Slow-Cooked Savory Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer, optional
- Optional Toppings: croutons, popcorn, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- 2. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
- 3. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through. Serve with desired toppings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 256 calories, 21g fat (14g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Savory Cheese Soup
"Worst recipe ever. First of all I have no idea why it needs to cook for 7-8 hrs first. Then when you finally get around to adding the cream cheese it takes FOREVER for it to melt. I won't be making this again even if by some miracle it tastes good."
"Added a dash of cayenne pepper for a little zip. Still a little bland but overall a good soup."
"This has become a regular in our slow-cooker. I use sharp cheddar for extra flavor, and I chop the veggies very fine and leave out the beer for my finicky eaters. The kids like it with gold fish crackers, hubby likes his with bacon pieces and I have mine with broken-up pretzels. A winner all-around!"
"My whole family loves it- it is perfect as is. Tastes even better the second day."
"Not bad, but I found it too salty. I even used reduced sodium chicken broth to make it."
"This was good, and you can do a lot with it - add mushrooms, broccolli, etc. We got tired eating the soup - added paprika and cayenne pepper and had a cheese dip (i'd reduce it more if I were to use it for that again). Very good, very versatile."
"This was very good. Ham or broccoli would be a nice addition as well."