Slow-Cooked Savory Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer, optional
- Optional Toppings: croutons, popcorn, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through. Serve with desired toppings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Savory Cheese Soup
Sort By :
My whole family loves it- it is perfect as is. Tastes even better the second day.
Not bad, but I found it too salty. I even used reduced sodium chicken broth to make it.
This was good, and you can do a lot with it - add mushrooms, broccolli, etc. We got tired eating the soup - added paprika and cayenne pepper and had a cheese dip (i'd reduce it more if I were to use it for that again). Very good, very versatile.
This was very good. Ham or broccoli would be a nice addition as well.