- 7 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- Place first six ingredients in a large bowl. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion and celery over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 4-5 minutes; drain. Add to stuffing mixture; stir in broth and butter. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until heated through and apple is tender, 3-4 hours, stirring once. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Sausage Dressing
"I used turkey sausage to lower the saturated fat -- turned out great.Might consider turning more than once, because the stuffing on the bottom was crispy....might be nice to have more of it be crispy..."
"I made this for my Thanksgiving meal yesterday. My husbands comment was this is the only dressing you are going to make from now on. It turned out perfect. I did subsitite the pecans with dried cranberries because we are now big pecan fans. I cooked it for 3 hrs like some of the other reviews suggested. I didn't change anything else. this is now my stuffing recipe."
"This was an easy and delicious dressing. We eliminated the pecans because they are not a favorite in my household. I do like the suggestion of the dried cranberries though and will try that next time."
"This was great! Very easy. The apples cooked down and just gave an extra layer of flavor without being overpowering. Awesome dish!"
"This dressing is excellent and easy. I made it exactly as is, but think I'd replace the pecans w/ dried cranberries when I make it again. Cooked it on low for 4 hours which was too long, so will reduce it down to 3 hours the next time. Very tasty and a great leftover too! Keeper....."
"This is very similar to the way I make stuffing, but I use pre-cooked turkey breakfast sausage, chopped, instead of the bulk sausage, and I use poultry seasoning instead of just the sage. I place several paper towels under the lid to absorb some of the steam. They get replaced with fresh ones when they become too wet. You could also use a tea towel."
"This is sooo good, I made 2 of this recipe one with the apples & the other with Ocean Spray dried cranberries they were both yummy!!"
"I made this for Thanksgiving and there was none of it leftover! I made this without the Pecans and the only problem I found was it did end up a little mushy at the end. I would take the lid off for a short time before serving."
"Would make this again because it's a great stuffing recipe to make in the crock pot. Prep was quick and end result very flavorful"