Slow-Cooked Sausage Dressing Recipe
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through and apple is tender, stirring once. Yield: 8 cups.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Sausage Dressing(7)
Sort By :
This is very similar to the way I make stuffing, but I use pre-cooked turkey breakfast sausage, chopped, instead of the bulk sausage, and I use poultry seasoning instead of just the sage. I place several paper towels under the lid to absorb some of the steam. They get replaced with fresh ones when they become too wet. You could also use a tea towel.
This is sooo good, I made 2 of this recipe one with the apples & the other with Ocean Spray dried cranberries they were both yummy!!
I made this for Thanksgiving and there was none of it leftover! I made this without the Pecans and the only problem I found was it did end up a little mushy at the end. I would take the lid off for a short time before serving.
Would make this again because it's a great stuffing recipe to make in the crock pot. Prep was quick and end result very flavorful
This is my families favorite. If you wish to make this ahead of time I would recommend the following:
1. Precook the sausage and veggies the day before.
2. refrigerate overnite in the crock pot if you like.
3. assemble the bread cubes ( I have used both the packaged seasoned bread cubes and a loaf of day-old bread) with the pre-cooked items, broth, and seasonings in the crock pot on Thanksgiving morn.
If you combine it the day before I think it will break down too much a
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Pork Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Sausage Stuffing >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Pork Recipes >