- 10 plum tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Core tomatoes. Cut a small slit in two tomatoes; insert a garlic clove into each slit. Place tomatoes and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Cut stems off jalapenos; remove seeds if a milder salsa is desired. Place jalapenos in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until vegetables are softened (some may brown slightly); cool.
- In a blender, combine the tomato mixture, cilantro and salt if desired; cover and process until blended. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 2 cups.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Fizz 56 Brachetto Italy N/V, sparkling and sweet with hints of raspberry and cherry. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Salsa
Sort By :
Although this is a easy way to prepare salsa, the recipe was bland. I will add chopped celery and bell peppers next times with some more salt and some pepper.
great recipe to have on hand. will make it again.
I use my large crockpot and fill it with skinned tomatoes from my garden, jalapenos, onions and garlic. It was a huge hit. I make 10 cups at once but it goes fast...
I think this will be a valuable recipe to hangs on to,because it is such a convenient way to make cooked salsa! I gave it 4 stars because I think the tomatoes and peppers would fare better in the final product without their skins. The next time I make it i'll experiment with canned tomatoes or by peeling fresh ones. (Would add more prep time of course.)
I usually 'rant, thumbs up, etc., but .. I'm sorry. This is a total waste of time.