Slow-Cooked Salsa Recipe
- 10 plum tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1. Core tomatoes. Cut a small slit in two tomatoes; insert a garlic clove into each slit. Place tomatoes and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Cut stems off jalapenos; remove seeds if a milder salsa is desired. Place jalapenos in the slow cooker.
- 3. Cover and cook on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until vegetables are softened (some may brown slightly); cool.
- 4. In a blender, combine the tomato mixture, cilantro and salt if desired; cover and process until blended. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 2 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without salt) equals 24 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 vegetable.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.