Slow-Cooked Rump Roast Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 to 8 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half. In a large skillet, brown meat on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Place carrots and potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with meat and onions. Combine the water, horseradish sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and celery salt. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Rump Roast
Sort By :
"made this for dinner last night and thought it was pretty tasty. The horseradish gave the meat and vegetables a little different twist from your average roast and brown gravy."
"This is terrible way too much vinegar. Beef is too expensive to do this to it."
"Fixed for my family last night. They absolutely loved it. I did add 1/2 cup more water, for more gravy. Had only extra hot horseradish, so used only 1 fat tablespoon. Should have used more. Try this, you won't be disapointed."
"The roast was very tender but I didn't like the taste of the horseradish sauce in it! I will make it again but with the exception of using the horseradish sauce."