- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Place eggplant in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt and toss. Let stand 45 minutes. Rinse and drain well; blot dry with paper towels.
- Place eggplant and remaining vegetables in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add oil, dried basil, garlic, pepper and remaining salt; toss to combine.
Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until onions are tender. Stir in tomato paste, olives and fresh basil; heat through.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled ratatouille in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Ratatouille in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Ratatouille
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review