Slow-Cooked Pulled Pork Recipe
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds), cut in half
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hickory Liquid Smoke, optional
- 10 kaiser rolls, split
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, paprika, 1 tablespoon pepper, salt, chili powder and cayenne. Rub over roast; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Place roast in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the vinegar, broth, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Liquid Smoke, if desired, and remaining pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove meat from slow cooker; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each roll. Yield: 10 servings.
1 sandwich equals 419 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 1,076 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.