Slow-Cooked Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Place onion and mushrooms in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Rub roast with salt and pepper; cut in half and place over onion mixture. In a small bowl,combine the wine, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
6 ounces cooked beef with 2 tablespoons gravy equals 356 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 45 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Pot Roast
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.