- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place onion and mushrooms in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Rub roast with salt and pepper; cut in half and place over onion mixture. In a small bowl,combine the wine, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Pot Roast
Sort By :
I actually made this with a chunk of venison and it was wonderful! I'm not a fan of wild game and my husband loves to hunt, so I'm always looking for good recipes to use that will take away the wild game flavor. This made the venison delicious! I added baby carrots and chunks of potatoes (didn't put in mushrooms because I didn't have any). I used the beef broth instead of the wine. I also tripled all the seasonings and liquids (since after adding the carrots and potatoes there wasn't enough juice to cover the meat). Wonderful!
The Red wine really makes this dish superior.
Nice basic pot roast recipe that I was able to modify to suit my needs. I added some baby carrots and baby yukon gold potatoes to the crock pot so that I could cook my veggies along with the roast.
Very moist and tender. The second time I made it I added some carrots and they were delicious too.
I made this as the recipe suggested. It was not tender after seven hours in the slow cooker, so I finished it in the oven. It was okay. Nothing special.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Roast Dinner >