Slow-Cooked Pork Verde
Comforting and hearty, this midweek entree is perfect winter fare. Serve with French bread and a salad for a well-rounded supper. Taste of Home Test Kitchen
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- Place carrots in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place in
- slow cooker. Add the beans, enchilada sauce and cilantro. Cover and
- cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads
- 160°. Remove roast to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices. Transfer the cooking liquid, carrots
- and beans to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch
- and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with
- meat and rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.