Slow-Cooked Pork Roast Recipe
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut roast in half. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown pork roast on all sides.
- 3. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over roast and turn to coat. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: 3 ounces cooked pork with 1/4 cup sauce equals 202 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Pork Roast
"I used pineapple chunks and mashed them a bit. I used just one can and added a cup of water. I followed the rest of the recipe. I served rice on side, using the juice in crockpot, on the rice. Was a nice blend of flavors."
"looking for something different in the slow cooker with my pork roast. This fits the bill. The sauce is sweet and savory... very good!"
"I have made this recipe several times. My family loves it! The only change I make is to omit the lemon peel and smoke flavoring. Other than that, I keep it as is. I am never sure how long to cook it however, as the recipe says 6-7 hours and also 4 hours plus standing. I usually cook it the full time, but it always just falls apart. I think I will cut back the cooking time to 4-5 hours and see what happens. Delicious!!"
"Will definitely make this again. It's a good, solid recipe. The meat was so tender--it looked nothing like the photo because it all fell apart! I used fresh rosemary, and it might've been a little strong. Otherwise, great."
"Completely delicious recipe but 6-7 hours is far too long to cook a roast you've cut in half. The pork becomes very dry. particularly when cut in half! Cut the cooking time back by at least two hours. Other than that, it's a great recipe!"
"Very delicious!!! The only thing I did differently was use a little bit of bacon renderings, white wine, a squirt of the concentrated lemon juice instead of peel, and half a packet of lipton onion powder packet."
"We loved it"
"Little confused regarding cook time (4 hrs versus recipe reads 6-7 hours). Also not sure why recipe says to cut the roast in half .. I left it whole."
"omg. this is the best. we served with grilled asparagus garlic mashed potatoes"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.