Slow-Cooked Pork Roast Dinner Recipe
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced carrots
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Place onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the pork, potatoes and carrots. Whisk the hot water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder; pour over pork and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove pork and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
4 ounces cooked pork with 2/3 cup vegetables and 1/3 cup gravy equals 304 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 401 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.