- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2-1/2 pounds), halved
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1-3/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a small bowl, whisk the first nine ingredients until blended. Place onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place roast, potatoes and carrots over onion. Pour sauce mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until pork and potatoes are tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Pork Roast Dinner
"Being an old man living alone, I cut everything in half. It was the absolute best port roast I have ever cooked. The gravy at the end was wonderful. Definitely a super keeper."
"Pork was very tender and full of flavor. I skipped the last step and did not make the gravy at the end to save time. My family thinks it turned out great even without it."
"Great taste. Due to husband's sensitivity to vinegar, I only used 1 T of Balsamic instead of 3 T of cider vinegar. It did the trick, he didn't notice it & LOVED the roast & this is a man who doesn't hand out compliments willy-nilly. Also used fresh baby carrots, unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes, & Brown sugar. Crock pot on high for 6 hours & 2 on low. Was super tender! Next time I will double the sauce for gravy to have plenty for warm ups. TRY THIS ONE!"
"Oh my gosh, is this good!!!! Wonderful flavor. Making it again!!!!"
"I used onions from the garden and dried carrots from last years garden and my whole family loved this recipe. The roast was tender and juicy and the gravy was rich and the best I'd had in quite a while."
"I almost didn't make this recipe based upon the few negative reviews. I thought it was great recipe. I love slow cooker roast recipes with the vegetables included, then I get my whole meal prepared at once! I didn't find the vinegar to be overwhelming. My whole family enjoyed the meal."
"There was simply an overpowering taste of vinegar. Plus when I made the "gravy" it was so thick it looked like tapioca. I'm not sure the ketchup was necessary, either. But, this is just my opinion..."
"This dish was easy to make. The the meat & veggies cooked up great and I had even put the pork in still frozen. My family & I just didn't care for the seasoning."
"The taste of the apple cider vinegar was very strong. I doubled the liquids/seasonings because I added a lot of vegetables to stretch it out to feed several people. The meat wasn't particular tender, even though I cooked it overnight in the crockpot."
"Please give us more low fat recipes!! Most of the ones posted have too much fat and sodium."