Slow Cooked Pork Chops Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- Place potatoes in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. In a large nonstick skillet, brown pork chops in oil in batches.
- Place chops over potatoes. Saute onions in drippings until tender; place over chops. Melt butter in skillet. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and broth until smooth. Stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour sauce over onions. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until pork is tender. Skim fat and thicken cooking juices if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow Cooked Pork Chops
Sort By :
"This is a classic fall & winter dish at our table. I made this basic recipe, doubling it for a farm crew, but didn't have low-sodium broth, so I used regular broth, as well as upped the overall salt in the recipe. Although this version is probably much healthier, I believe potatoes require much more than 1/4 tsp. salt. It's all a matter of taste, I guess. Generally, a roux requires a tsp. of salt & 1/4 tsp. of pepper. Unless you are using a smoked meat like ham, I would use a very generous teaspoon of salt for 6 potatoes. Sometimes we add cheese to the layers of potatoes, cut back on the onion, substitute milk, cream, or canned milk, & add minced garlic to the sauce....Just whatever we happen to have on hand, but the basic recipe is the same. I happen to have a lactose intolerant employee, so we made this chicken broth version using onion, garlic, salt & pepper, with paprika & sage sprinkled on the chops."
"This is awesome! It was a success with the eaters. Definitely a keeper."
"The pork fell off the bones when done. I also added some sauerkraut. It was a hit in this household"
"i agree with a few others and wish i woulda read the reviews before ... a horrible boiled mess and a waste of time and ingredients !! i even added some fresh parsley and a few other spices to liven it up cuz it looked bland to begin with ... and the cooking time is insanely crazy .. it was HORRIBLE !!! sorry taste of home ..........big FAIL !!"
"This was a tasteless boiled mess.... I would not recommend!Truly a waste of ingredients..."