Slow-Cooked Pork Burritos Recipe
- 1 boneless pork sirloin roast (3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 14 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped green pepper, guacamole, reduced-fat sour cream and shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Cut roast in half; place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, taco seasoning, parsley, garlic, pepper and salt. Pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is very tender.
- 2. Remove pork from the slow cooker; cool slightly. Shred with two forks; set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid; stir in beans and chilies. Return pork to the slow cooker; heat through.
- 3. Spoon 1/2 cup pork mixture down the center of each tortilla; add toppings of your choice. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
- 4. To freeze burritos: Roll up burritos without toppings. Wrap individually in paper towels, then foil. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag. May be frozen for up to 2 months. To use frozen burritos, unwrap foil. Place paper towel-wrapped burritos on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 14 servings.
1 burrito (calculated without optional toppings) equals 320 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 606 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.