- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- Cut beef into 3-in. x 1-in. strips. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, salt, ginger and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and green pepper; cook on low 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes until thickened. Serve with noodles or rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Pepper Steak
Sort By :
"I have this on a regular basis....I make it exactly the way the recipe says and it always turns out perfectly. I serve mine over hot fluffy rice. My husband and son love it, and the leftovers (if any) are really good. Great dish!"
"My husband doesn't like green pepper so I used both red and yellow, my family loved it!"
"This Is wonderful! I used a round roast, as that is what I had in hand, and the canned diced tomatoes. It turned out so good, and I will make this again. Served mine with buttered noodles. Yummy!"
"Great flavors blended in,,, my husband (who is wonderful, but picky when it comes to food) loved it,,, used a red and yellow pepper~ brown sugar to make the tomatoes less tart~served with buttered noodles, and applesauce~good deal!"
"If you are looking for a good and easy slow cooker recipe this one is for you. I tried this out in 1994 when it was first published Taste of Home. I've been a fan of it ever since then. The soy sauce gives it a great taste. I don't like ginger so I leave it out. I also use diced tomatoes since they are available and flavorful anytime of the year."