Slow-Cooked Pepper Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- 1. Cut beef into 3-in. x 1-in. strips. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, salt, ginger and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and green pepper; cook on low 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes until thickened. Serve with noodles or rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without noodles) equals 176 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 639 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.