- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- Cut beef into 3-in. x 1-in. strips. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, salt, ginger and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and green pepper; cook on low 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender.
Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes until thickened. Serve with noodles or rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Pepper Steak
"My mother introduced this to me. So mouthwatering I can never wait for it to be done. I've used canned tomatoes and also rotel."
"Incredible dish and so easy to make! I used top sirloin steak but didn't change another thing! Will be a keeper in our household!"
"I make this regularly. Serve over rice and with wheat rolls and corn. Only change I make is using tomato sauce instead of diced because of the picky eaters in my house."
"I have this on a regular basis....I make it exactly the way the recipe says and it always turns out perfectly. I serve mine over hot fluffy rice. My husband and son love it, and the leftovers (if any) are really good. Great dish!"
"My husband doesn't like green pepper so I used both red and yellow, my family loved it!"