Slow-Cooked Orange Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking liquid. Cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice and sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared without salt; calculated without rice) equals 306 calories, 10 g fat (0 saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Orange Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.