I CREATED this recipe in an effort to prepare a dish lower in calories and fat. Everyone likes the taste, including my grandchildren. A hint of orange gives the chicken a delicious flavor. This is a favorite of mine. It travels well, and I often take it to potluck suppers. -Nancy Wit, Fremont, Nebraska
Recommended: Our Favorite Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking liquid. Cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice and sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Orange Chicken in Reminisce May/June 1999, p45
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Orange Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2014
"Have to try this slow cook chicken soon. Also notice it is *diabetic friendly* which suits me. Thank you."
Reviewed Sep. 23, 2012
"Nice and easy"
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2010
"Not enough flavor...Will not make this again"