- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked couscous
- Place carrots and onions in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with salt; add to slow cooker. Top with apricots and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk broth, tomato paste, flour, lemon juice, garlic and seasonings until blended; add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with couscous. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Moroccan Chicken
"used leg quarters and this recipe came out beautifully. next time will increase heat level just a little with chile or cayenne."
"This chicken tastes more like Indian food I tried at a local restaurant, but not as good though"
"Everyone in the family enjoyed it! His parents aren't too fond of spicy food, so it is always wonderful to find a dish that has lots of flavor but isn't too hot for some at the table. I used chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken. Turned out great!"
"Dee-Lish! easy to prep, just a little chopping which could be done night before. Apricots/spices/onions- a really nice mix. We served over wild rice and froze half. Will definitely do this one again :)"
"This was a nice, quick, slow cooker dinner. The spices and dried fruit were a nice flavor, different from the usual chicken dishes. I used 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and there was easily enough for 5 servings. After the chicken was done, I left the lid off the cooker, and turned it up to high to thicken the sauce."