Slow-Cooked Moroccan Chicken Recipe
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked couscous
- 1. Place carrots and onions in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with salt; add to slow cooker. Top with apricots and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk broth, tomato paste, flour, lemon juice, garlic and seasonings until blended; add to slow cooker.
- 2. Cook, covered, on low 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with couscous. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (calculated without couscous) equals 435 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 755 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Moroccan Chicken
"used leg quarters and this recipe came out beautifully. next time will increase heat level just a little with chile or cayenne."
"This chicken tastes more like Indian food I tried at a local restaurant, but not as good though"
"Everyone in the family enjoyed it! His parents aren't too fond of spicy food, so it is always wonderful to find a dish that has lots of flavor but isn't too hot for some at the table. I used chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken. Turned out great!"
"Dee-Lish! easy to prep, just a little chopping which could be done night before. Apricots/spices/onions- a really nice mix. We served over wild rice and froze half. Will definitely do this one again :)"
"This was a nice, quick, slow cooker dinner. The spices and dried fruit were a nice flavor, different from the usual chicken dishes. I used 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and there was easily enough for 5 servings. After the chicken was done, I left the lid off the cooker, and turned it up to high to thicken the sauce."
"toooo much time to prep / tooo many ingreadeints for only 4 servings - would have to prep the day before / not enough time in the am .before work - BUT aGOOD/ TASTY recipe !!!"
"Perfect blend of middle eastern crusine; a hit in our home."
"I had never had Moroccan food before, but thought I would give this recipe a try. I really enjoyed it. I halved the recipe (except for the lemon juice, which I accidentally added the full amount) and used boneless, skinless chicken breast. It was really good. The balance of the spices and the sweetness of the fruit really made the dish for me."
"We used golden raisins and ginger root. This recipe is delicious though, especially with the couscous!!!"
"Tender, tasty and wonderfully filling on top of a good couscous"
"This was wonderful! My family loved it. Thankyou :)"
"Made this tonight and it was a winner! We don't care for couscous, so we served it with brown and wild rice cooked in chicken broth. Delicious together."
"My husband and I have never tried Moroccan food. So this was a test. It did make it with boneless skinless chicken, I don't like all those little bones in chicken after you slow cook chicken. 4 servings... lol.. hubby and I ate it all up ourselves. lolLove it!!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.