- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked couscous
- Place carrots and onions in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with salt; add to slow cooker. Top with apricots and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk broth, tomato paste, flour, lemon juice, garlic and seasonings until blended; add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with couscous. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Moroccan Chicken
"This is a regular at our house. It always receives rave reviews! Great way to spice up boring chicken beasts."
"used leg quarters and this recipe came out beautifully. next time will increase heat level just a little with chile or cayenne."
"This chicken tastes more like Indian food I tried at a local restaurant, but not as good though"
"Everyone in the family enjoyed it! His parents aren't too fond of spicy food, so it is always wonderful to find a dish that has lots of flavor but isn't too hot for some at the table. I used chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken. Turned out great!"
"Dee-Lish! easy to prep, just a little chopping which could be done night before. Apricots/spices/onions- a really nice mix. We served over wild rice and froze half. Will definitely do this one again :)"