Slow-Cooked Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1. In a bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir in the bread cubes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. Add the beef and mix well. Shape into a round loaf. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Spread ketchup on top of loaf. Arrange carrots around loaf. Peel a strip around the center of each potato; place potatoes over carrots.
- 2. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 7-8 hours longer or until no pink remains in the meat and the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 407 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 1,250 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.