Slow-Cooked Meat Loaf
What could be more comforting to come home to than moist and tender homemade meat loaf? "This one retains its shape in the slow cooker and slices beautifully," reports Marna Heitz from Farley, Iowa. "Because potatoes and carrots cook along with it, the entire dinner is ready at the same time."
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hous
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 small red potatoes
- In a bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir in the bread cubes, onion, green
- pepper, salt and pepper. Add the beef and mix well. Shape into a
- round loaf. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Spread ketchup on top of
- loaf. Arrange carrots around loaf. Peel a strip around the center of
- each potato; place potatoes over carrots.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook
- 7-8 hours longer or until no pink remains in the meat and the
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 407 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 1,250 mg sodium,