“My husband and I both work late, so it’s great to come home to this classic dish with mashed potatoes and a veggie side,” explains Ginger Cortese of Hollsopple, Pennsylvania. “It reminds me of supper at Mom’s.”
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Hot mashed potatoes, optional
- In a small bowl, combine soup and water until blended. Pour half into a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Cover and refrigerate remaining soup mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt if desired and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf; place in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- For gravy, place reserved soup mixture in a small saucepan; cook over low heat until heated through. Serve the meat loaf and gravy with mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Meat Loaf in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006, p17
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Meat Loaf for 2
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review