- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced potatoes, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams
- 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf and peppercorns. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forSlow-Cooked Manhattan Clam Chowder
"This was very good clam chowder. I add the clams at the very end, though, so that they stay plump. I always add an extra can of clams. Never enough clams, as far as I'm concerned. Yum!"
"great chowder. I stirred in some leftover white rice and it was very good."
"A great soup to come home to on a cold day!"