"I came up with this simple, delicious soup years ago when my husband and I both worked," writes Mary Dixon of Northville, Michigan. "It's easy to dump all the ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning...and wonderful to come home to the aroma of dinner ready."
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced potatoes, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf and peppercorns. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Manhattan Clam Chowder in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p35
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Manhattan Clam Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review