- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (12 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Combine the oregano, seasoned salt and pepper; rub over chicken. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in butter; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water, lemon juice, garlic and bouillon to the skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Baste chicken with cooking juices. Add parsley. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear. Serve with rice. (If desired, cooking juices may be thickened before serving.) Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Lemon Chicken
"Followed recipe as written, so pleased I did. Wonderful flavor, moist, just mouth-watering. During last hour of cooking, I added baby carrots to cook, during the last ten minutes I added noodles. Everything was saturated with that wonderful lemon , garlic flavor. A definite keeper."
"Made it exactly to recipe but used thighs as we love dark meat. Was a hit."
"We use the brown rice, which made it a lot tastier than with the white. Excellent recipe."
"Cooked nicely, but it lacked flavor for us. I even added extra garlic and mushrooms."
"I have made this recipe for many years. It is a definite favorite with the family. The only thing is I increase the sauce part so we have some to put over the rice or potatoes."
"Good flavored chicken. We use it for boneless skinless breasts diced for salads and change the toppings. It goes well with roasted corn and beans and marinated tomatoes and zucchini. I don't keep seasoned salt in the house so instead I sprinkle chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and oregano on before browning. The hardest part is not eating it off the cutting board before packing it up. I also notice it cooked through after about three hours in the crockpot."
"I've made this many times since it was published in 2000! Definitely watch the cooking times with newer slow cookers- 3 1/2 to 4 hours is the magic number for mine."
"Made this for dinner last night and it was outstanding. Absolutely use the spinach... I had a box of frozen spinach; just thawed it a bit in the microwave, and added it with its liquid to the slow cooker. I also added a can of cream of chicken soup, and used boneless skinless chicken thighs. Lemon makes the dish. I have a newer slow cooker, and it just took 4 hours on low; would have been fine at 3 hours, because the chicken is already slightly browned and mostly cooked when it goes in the cooker. Think the cream of chicken, or cream of mushroom soup will keep this from being dry. It was fall-apart good, and full of flavor. I served it over whole wheat spaghetti. Big fan of this recipe with these slight modifications."