- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (12 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Combine the oregano, seasoned salt and pepper; rub over chicken. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in butter; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water, lemon juice, garlic and bouillon to the skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Baste chicken with cooking juices. Add parsley. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear. If desired, remove chicken to a platter and keep warm; thicken cooking juices. Serve over chicken and rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Lemon Chicken
Sort By :
"I've made this many times since it was published in 2000! Definitely watch the cooking times with newer slow cookers- 3 1/2 to 4 hours is the magic number for mine."
"Made this for dinner last night and it was outstanding. Absolutely use the spinach... I had a box of frozen spinach; just thawed it a bit in the microwave, and added it with its liquid to the slow cooker. I also added a can of cream of chicken soup, and used boneless skinless chicken thighs. Lemon makes the dish. I have a newer slow cooker, and it just took 4 hours on low; would have been fine at 3 hours, because the chicken is already slightly browned and mostly cooked when it goes in the cooker. Think the cream of chicken, or cream of mushroom soup will keep this from being dry. It was fall-apart good, and full of flavor. I served it over whole wheat spaghetti. Big fan of this recipe with these slight modifications."
"I read the reviews prior to trying this and I too, used boneless thighs and added a can of cream of mushroom soup, without altering the lemon juice or any of the other ingredients. Delicious! My picky husband LOVED this! My new go to chicken recipe! It would be amazing with mushrooms!"
"Flavor was good, but meat wasn't tender."
"I made this last night and it was amazing with a few modifications. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and followed a few of the reviews on the recipe. I used less lemon juice because I didn't want the lemon to be too overpowering. I sauteed fresh mushrooms and spinach in the lemon/water mixture. I then poured that over the chicken in the crockpot and added a can of cream of mushroom soup. I added the soup because I wanted more sauce to serve over rice. I also only cooked it for 3 hours on low in my crockpot. The chicken was very moist and flavorful. I think I have a new favorite recipe!"