Slow-Cooked Italian Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 2. Pour cooking juices into a large saucepan; skim fat. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and pasta. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 231 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Italian Chicken
"I made this for my family and none of us liked it. The chicken is moist but the sauce is so bland and boring. I wish it had more flavor. I won't be making this again."
"The chicken was so tender and moist, but the sauce was on the bland side, despite the garlic and onion salt. Next time, and I will make it again, I will add more garlic, and italian flavored tomato sauce."
"My family loved it! My sauce was not as thick as pictured. I used 1 tsp chili powder instead of 3, as we don't like too spicy. Flavors were awesome and chicken was tender."
"I used Prego marinara sauce instead of the chicken broth, tomatoe sauce and stewed tomatoes. Half way through cooking, I placed fresh mozarella cheese on top of the chicken breasts. I have cooked this also with frozen chicken breasts when I haven't defrosted the night before. I think this makes the chicken very tender and it will cook through in 5 hours on Low. We loved it and served with Italian bread!"
"The flavors in this dish are very good! I always make a dish exactly as the recipe is written the first time and go from there. I think next time I will use a bigger can of tomato sauce but other than that this is a recipe that I will be making again."
"I love this recipe! I usually top it off with some Italian cheese and use corn starch instead of flour to thicken. But I think it is yummy and like to make it on cooler days, it is sort of a meal I save for the fall."
"I added more tomato sauce from the outset and then tried to mix in the flour directly; however, this made for some lumpy sauce that I really had to try to stir (with limited success) back to a smooth consistency."
"I haven't tried it yet. I am wanting to try it but a question first. This is for a 3 quart cooker. Mine is a 6 1/2 qt. I think I can double the recipe. But, do I then extend the cook time or not?"
"This is very good. I'll make again, but next time I will probably use a large can of tomato sauce."
"This slow cooked chicken is really good!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.