Slow-Cooked Italian Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 2. Pour cooking juices into a large saucepan; skim fat. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and pasta. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1/2 cup sauce (calculated without pasta) equals 231 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 818 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Italian Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.