Slow-Cooked Greek Chicken Dinner Recipe
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 whole garlic bulb, separated and peeled
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1. Place potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the chicken, onions and garlic. Combine the oregano, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup water; pour over chicken and vegetables. Drizzle with oil. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain cooking juices and skim fat; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked chicken with 1 cup vegetables and 1/3 cup gravy equals 410 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 482 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.