Slow-Cooked Gingered Pears
My slow cooker allows me to serve a heartwarming dessert without much effort. Topped with caramel sauce, these tender pears feature a surprise filling of nuts and brown sugar.—Catherine Mueller, St. Paul, Minnesota
6 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 medium Bartlett or D'Anjou pears
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream and caramel ice cream topping, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger, brown sugar, pecans and lemon
- peel. Using a melon baller or long-handled spoon, core pears to
- within 1/4 in. of bottom. Spoon ginger mixture into the center of
- Place pears upright in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top each with butter.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until tender. Serve with ice
- cream and caramel topping if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pear equals 263 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 43 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 1 g protein.