Slow-Cooked Flank Steak
"My slow cooker gets lots of use, especially during the hectic summer months," notes Michelle Armistead from Keyport, New Jersey. "I can fix this flank steak in the morning and forget about it until dinnertime. I serve it with noodles and a tossed salad."
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, brown steak in oil; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In
- the same skillet, saute onion for 1 minute. Gradually add water,
- stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add remaining ingredients;
- bring to a boil. Pour over the flank steak. Cover and cook on low
- for 7-8 hours or until the meat is tender. Slice the meat; serve
- with onion and pan juices. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (4 ounces) equals 199 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet