- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
- Minced fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour coconut milk mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with coconut and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Coconut Chicken
"As with some of the other reviews, the sauce did not look great. However, our family really loved the flavor. It was a slightly sweet and flavorful. We served the chicken and sauce over cauliflower rice and topped with cilantro. I would suggest maybe adding cornstarch or other thickener to make the sauce thicker and more appealing for serving."
"After you remove the chicken from the slow cooker, smooth out the cooked sauce with an immersion blender for a more appealing finish. If you don't have an immersion blender a hearty whisking might do the trick.Sue StetzelOnline Community / Field Editor ManagerTaste of Home Magazine"
"Such a waste of time making this recipe! The coconut milk separated and the flavours were very very bland. BARELY edible and a dish I will certainly not be making again. In fact I was so disappointed with it that it impelled me to write my first review on this site!"
"Try cooking whole chicken upside down(. take out wishbone first!!!! then cut down center of back and CPR crunch breast bone) dark meat juices flow into white. Then flip last 20 if cooked in oven to brown top, in slow cooker doesn't matter unless the dark meat looks like it needs juices. Try adding freshly squeezed lemon juice. Meat with bones will always taste better and half rib chicken breast wouldn't hurt. Maybe add pinch more seasoning . Add onion chopped too."
"I love slow cooker recipes, chicken, and coconut so I expected amazing results with this recipe but it was just meh. It looked gross, despite a wonderful aroma. It was edible, but I won't recommend it or make it again."