Slow-Cooked Chunky Chili
Pork sausage, ground beef and plenty of beans make this chili a hearty meal-starter. I keep the versatile mixture in serving-size containers in my freezer at all times. I can quickly warm up bowls of it on coldor use it to fix chili dogs, chili tacos and more.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in
- the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve desired amount. Cool the remaining chili; transfer to freezer
- bags or containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen chili: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in saucepan and
- heat through. Add water if desired. Yield: 3 quarts.