- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. If desired, top individual servings with cheese and green onions. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Chili
"Adjustments made: 1 can (15-oz.) diced Italian tomatoes, undrained, 2 celery ribs, diced, 1 medium onion, chopped, 4-oz. can undrained mushrooms, drained, scaled down to 1 lb. ground turkey in place of beef. Used 1can kidney beans, rinsed and drained. Scaled down to 1 Tbsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 green pepper, chopped and 2 crushed garlic cloves,1-1/2 cups Marinara sauce since I did not have tomato sauce on hand.I used a 6-qt. saucepan since I don't have a slow-cooker! I simmered the chili for 1 hour, covered, on stovetop! This dish was very tasty!delowenstein"
"Very hearty, but not much flavor at all- I have to agree with a few others....."
"Delicious basic chili recipe. Sometimes I swap out one can of kidney beans for pinto or black beans, if you want more kick to it substitute a can of diced tomatoes with chilies or jalapenoes for one of the cans of diced tomatoes."
"I made this recipe as written and it was really good. Next time I will add another can of beans because it is very meaty. I will probably also add another can of tomato sauce because it was very thick. Overall it was great! Really easy to throw together in the morning and when I got home it was piping hot and ready to eat."
"With a 4.5 star rating, I expected a decent chili. It doesn't taste bad, and it smells WONDERFUL while it's cooking... but it is so bland we couldn't eat it. We didn't want heat, we just wanted flavor. We wanted chili. I made it for the Superbowl since it made a large quantity, the whole gang agreed it has no flavor. I ended up salvaging it with more salt, cumin and two envelopes of chili seasoning. I will have to keep looking for a crockpot chili recipe that measures up to our expectations."
"I finally have my recipe for chili and my family loves it.. This recipe is the best i have found.."