"This hearty chili can cook for up to 10 hours on low," relates Sue Call of Beech Grove, Indiana. "It's so good to come home to after a long day away."
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next nine ingredients. Cover
- and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Garnish individual servings with
- cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared without salt or cheese) equals 330 calories, 13 g fat (0 saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 337 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.