- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Anaheim or poblano peppers. finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotle hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, cubed avocado, sour cream and crispy tortilla strips
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer pepper mixture and chicken to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in broth, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, tomato paste, seasonings and, if desired, pepper sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender (a thermometer should read at least 165°).
Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred with two forks; return to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Chicken Enchilada Soup
"Very tasty! I used green peppers (Anaheim?) because my husband doesn't like spicy foods. We topped it with sour cream and shredded cheese! Delicious! I'll be making this again!"
"Great soup. I also added a can of black beans and a can of corn just to add more substance."
"Oh. My. Gosh. This soup is so tasty and easy to make, it will become a part of my permanent soup collection. I used the poblanos and the mildest Mexican tomatoes, then I topped it with a little cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips. I can't wait to make it again!"
"I just made this soup. It is so tasty! I made it as the recipe calls, but didn't put in hot sauce. We don't like things too spicy. I topped it with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. I couldn't wait to eat it and forgot about the tortilla strips! I'll definitely make this again. It has the same flavors as chicken tortilla soup, without beans. It's really a recipe keeper!"
"This soup had a great flavor. I made this when I had company over and everyone loved it and had to get seconds! I did leave out some peppers to cut down on the spice factor."
"We loved this soup! Quick, easy and full of flavor! We ate it topped with sour cream, chips, cheese and avocado. I think next time I may try adding a can of black beans."