Slow-Cooked Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on all sides.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with onions, green pepper and mushrooms. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, salt, oregano and basil; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without skin) equals 296 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 582 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.