Slow-Cooked Chicken a La King Recipe
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine soup, flour, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Stir in chicken, celery, green pepper and onion. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Stir in peas and pimientos. Cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice): 174 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Chicken a La King
"Simple to put together with tasty results. I ended up seasoning with a bit more salt and pepper after tasting it."
"Just like Mom's only easier because of the slow cooker."
"Although tasty, it had more of a stew-like consistency, than the thick chicken a la king I remember from childhood. My husband and I actually liked it better the 2nd day after it had thickened some."
"I agree with the other reviews that cooking 7 hrs is too long and this does not make six servings. It was easy to prepare."
"I used a frozen chicken breast and it still only took 4-5 hours. I also added 2 garlic cloves chopped and some frozen corn too. This was really good and I'll definitely make a double batch again. This recipe is no more than 2 servings."
"Loved this recipe. So super easy it just doesn't seem right. A few things: First, I didn't measure, but there is NO WAY there are 6 - 1 cup servings in this recipe. Second, I started it late an only had 4 hours so I cooked it on high 2 hours then low for 2 hours. My husband left it on warm another 2 hours while I was at the gym and it was still great when I got home. Third, no pinmentos so I subbed half a jarred roasted red pepper. Lastly, I used my measuring spoon labeled "dash" for the cayenne and it was probably a tad too much. This is going to be a regular recipe, only I will double it in the future."
"Very easy to prepare. Agree that 4-5 hrs cooking time is best. I didn't have pimentos on hand so I left those out. Next time I will try adding garlic as others suggest. My picky 3 yr old even liked it."
"My husband and I LOVE this recipe. But, cooking it for the listed time of 7 to 8 hours is about three hours too long, it leaves the chicken tasteless after that length of time. I cook it for about 4 hours. I add a couple of cloves of minced garlic to the mixture too."