These hearty carnitas are delicious and easy to simmer in a slow cooker all day long. Sometimes, instead of using tortillas, I place the pork on top of shredded lettuce for a tasty salad. —Lisa Glogow, Aliso VIejo, California
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tequila or additional chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Fresh cilantro leaves, sliced red onion and chopped tomatoes, optional
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with the garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Add the onions, cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon about 2/3 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla; serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Carnitas in Taste of Home April/May 2011, p58
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Carnitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review