- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tequila or additional chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Fresh cilantro leaves, sliced red onion and chopped tomatoes, optional
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with the garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Add the onions, cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon about 2/3 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla; serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Carnitas
Sort By :
"This was a delicious dish! I cooked the meat about 5 hours and turned it over to cook the last hour. Even my son who claims not to like pork thought it was great."
"I made these and they were very tasty and easy. The pork was very flavorful. We will definitely make these again!"
"I made these with steak instead of pork and they were great!"
"I love being able to slow cook this recipe. Carnitas are a favorite of mine, and these are tasty!"
"I LOVE making this dish. One pork shoulder or roast will make 2 dinners, so we eat supper one night and I freeze the leftovers. I also add some fajita seasoning and onions and peppers when cooking in the slow cooker (towards the end). I have substituted lemon juice when I didnt have lime juice and it turned out just fine! Serve with Mexican rice, refried beans or black beans, sour cream, salsa, cheese and chips! MMMM!"