- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Place potatoes, carrots and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, seasonings, orange peel and cocoa. Stir in tomato sauce; add to skillet and heat through. Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Caribbean Pot Roast
"Really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy to make and different from the same old same old. I saw someone mentioned they might try it with a pork roast and that is exactly what I'm going to do."
"It's a keeper."
"Mmm- I'am not sure what to say about this recipe, i didn't think it was that bad, but my family wasn't trilled by it. I might try it with a pork loin instead of beef roast."
"Flavors are fantastic. Makes lots of sauce. Serve with rice/potatoes to use up the sauce. Smelled awesome as it is cooking. Highly recommend. It is a keeper."
"I really liked this recipe. It was a little to sweet for me so I added some red pepper flakes to give it a little heat. My family loved it."
"Not your "same old" variation on pot roast--deliciously different. I made this last week and my husband's already asked for it again! Thank you, Jenn, for sharing this wonderful recipe."
"Even my vegetarian room mate was drooling over this dish! It smells wonderfully fragrant while cooking, and tastes delicious."
"For those of us who don't have a slow cooker maybe you could add oven temperature and time of cooking."
"Delicious! I'll make it again but might use less orange."
"My kids loved this and I can never get them to eat sweet potatoes! Only thing I will do differently is add a lil more zip to the sauce with some red pepper flakes and a little bit more tomato sauce."